Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Elsie is (mostly) potty trained!!!

We have tried candy, toys, and stickers to motivate Elsie to go potty and poop on the toilet. They would work a few days then she had enough and would rather us change her diaper. Like all parents know, it got very frustrating. So, we were at a friends luau when Elsie saw the dancers up on stage doing some hula dances. She was mesmerized. She wanted to become a dancer. We looked into the dance classes offered at the recreation center where all of her friends go and all the classes required the children to be potty trained. I simply told her she couldn't do it because she still used a diaper. So from then on when I would ask if she needed to go potty she would refuse at first, but then I would ask her if she wanted to become a dancer. That was motivation to keep her going potty. We saw this Unicorn at the thrift store. It plays music and lights up. Way cool. I bought it and told Elsie she could have it if she went poop on the toilet. Well, the rest is history. Here is a picture of her sitting on the toilet after going poop for the first time with all of her rewards. She still wears a pull up during naps and bed time, but that wont last forever. At least she can use the toilet when she is awake.

No comments: